Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Big week and fall travel.

     Last week was one of my biggest weeks this year, coming it at just under 21 hours of training. The week's highlights were a two hour, 35km double pole session through hilly Stockholm, Maine, as well as a 5-km running race.

     Will and I have been working hard this summer on the process of identifying and confronting weaknesses in my skiing and training. One, my lack of double pole strength, is made evident every time I go train with another team. So, to improve this, we have implemented a few things:
- A double pole specific distance session each week.
- Weight room focus on double pole muscle groups.
- Pushing double pole uphill during intervals.

     I raced my first ever 5-km trail race this past weekend. It was the UMPI Alumni Challenge, and I ran it in 16:52, taking the win. The time doesn't seem that fast, but it was a hard course, so I'm not going to totally discount myself. If nothing else, it was a good race effort. I felt decent at the beginning of the race and once I got my feet under me, I was able to finish hard.

    Today is the day when I pack up my garden for the fall, put some food in storage (freezer, cans, or basement) and get ready to travel! I am, along with various members of our devo team, heading to 7-D Ranch outside of Cody, Wyoming for some altitude training. The camp is somewhat shorter this year then some years with ten full days at the ranch. I think it will be for the best though, as a camp seems to lose some amount of efficacy when it gets to two weeks or longer. We will be spending the first few days getting used to altitude and then the second half of camp, we will be putting in some hard workouts.

   In other news, with fall slated to start on September 22 at 10:49am (according to the Farmer's Almanac), its good to feel some cool weather. 40 degree mornings and frost-warnings can only mean one thing: winter is on its way! Here's to the amazing summer we had, and an even better fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment